· PGHS CEEB Code – 012207
· Schedule Change Procedures – Students requesting to have their schedule changed must fill out a Schedule Change Petition. Schedules are only changed when deemed absolutely necessary by administration during the school year, and must be done within the 1st 10 days of the semester. Schedule changes are not always possible based on class availability, class sizes, scheduling conflicts, or graduation requirements. Note: Schedules will NOT be changed just because a student is failing the course.
Course Selections - Students will select the courses for the next school year between February-March each year. Each student is given a Course Selection Sheet, Graduation requirements for each diploma option, & a recommendation letter that specifies the courses that are recommended by the current core teachers. Students who turned their signed course selection sheets in on time will be allowed to discuss schedule change options from March- June 1st. After June 1st, there will be a schedule change of $30 (Board Policy June 2010). Students who did NOT turn in course selections on time will not be allowed to discuss schedule changes & their schedules will not be changed. Due to proration, we will only be making necessary changes - course needed for gradation, previously received credit for the course, pre-requisite not met, has a period without a class, too many cores on odd/even day. Schedule changes are not always possible based on class availability, class sizes, scheduling conflicts, or graduation requirements. Note: Schedules will NOT be changed just because a student is failing the course.
· Grade Classification – Students move to the next grade level based solely on the number of credits they receive per year:
6 credits required to promote to the 10th Grade
14 credits required to promote to the 11th Grade
20 credits required to promote to the 12th Grade
28 credits to graduate *See Diploma Options Link for specifics
· Credit Makeup – I failed a course. What can I do about it?
***Talk to your counselor about the following options:
1. Summer school - Highly recommended!
2. Night School – usually done through Birmingham City
3. Re-take the following school year
4. Online courses – only for the highly motivated (electives only)
· Tutoring – How do I get help?
1. Ask the teacher of that subject for help
2. Ask a friend who is doing well for help
3. Create a study group
4. Ask an adult/guardian for help
5. Get an adult tutor
6. Call surrounding educational organizations for tutoring
· AHSGE Graduation Exam – I need help to pass the grad exam!
1. Students in the 11th & 12th grades are placed into courses for grad exam remediation
2. Check out workbooks from the PG Library
3. Download info from the State Dept of Ed – Use your Item Specs to study- www.alsde.edu/html/home.asp Here’s how -
1. Go to “Sections” and click on “Curriculum & Instruction”
2. Go to “Publications” and click on “AHSGE Item Specs”
3. Print the booklet for the test(s) that you need to pass!
4. Study HARD!!!! =)